Sunday 27 February 2011

Taxi for Pompey

Its been quite quiet in my head lately, mostly just random bits of songs over and over but I thought I would write some more stuff down for all you lovely people.

I have 3 topics to talk about today, Pompey, Taxis and the Rugby.

So up first Portsmouth Football Club. I am really starting to think that the team have been reading my blog. As since I wrote about how fucked we were and the possibilities of League 1 action next season, they went unbeaten in February. So, well done guys. 1 draw and then 4 wins and 4 clean sheets on the bounce! That is an amazing run of results in one month and I really hope the league notice this and reward Steve Cotterill with the manager of the month award. I'm extremely happy with how things are going on the pitch at the moment and hope that they continue.
 Sky Sports News showed a special report on PFC the other night. It was an interesting watch although didn't overly show anything that us fans didn't know about. But anyway, hopefully the future is looking brighter. People are now talking about making the playoffs, my view is 'I don't want to get the playoffs'. My reasons for this are that we are still not financially backed by an owner who wants to run the club. And if we get back into the prem now, it is quite possible that stupid wages and transfer fees will be banded around and we could slip straight back into the awful situation we've been in not so long ago. Also I am enjoying travelling to different and smaller stadiums, paying reasonable prices for tickets and I'd like the team to be stable with long term players tied down before we try to make it in the big time again.
Still, I will leave Pompey alone now and hopefully will not need to write about them until the end of the season...fingers crossed.

Taxis. A great mode of transport when you need it and cant be bothered with buses/trains/walking etc. Prices of taxis have risen since i was a wee lad but that's understandable as the cost of living continues to increase. I admire taxi drivers for how they make their earnings, I certainly wouldn't want to drive drunk people around at 3am on a Saturday morning (especially from the people I saw last night!). And it annoyed me when people were moaning when we had the snow and ice and taxis were adding £1-£1.50 on top of the fare. If you don't want to pay the extra, Walk! They are doing a service in severe weather conditions that I sure as hell wouldn't drive in. During last Jan/Feb when we had the first snow I got a taxi from my friends house and the operator told me it would likely be around half an hour. That was fine by me as it was warm in my friends house and I wasn't in a rush. We decided to play some Fifa and by the time we had turned the Xbox on, there was a knock at the door and my taxi was there. So half hour was more like 3 minutes! Awesome. I gave the guy a £3 tip as I wanted to get rid of the change and was very grateful of his speedy service. So please don't moan at drivers when they are doing you a favour, unless they're a cunt. Then by all means give 'em hell.
But that story leads me onto my major gripe with taxi services. When you phone up and the operator says 'oh yeah, bout 5-10 mins' don't believe them! It winds me up when they do it because then you don't know whether to wait outside, by the window or if you've got time to cook a 3 course meal! Either have a system in place that allows you to know exactly how long its going to take or just say, I don't know.

But I cant be angry anymore as this morning has made me incredibly happy, and fortunately leads me into my third topic, the game of egg-chasing.
Firstly congratulations to England who have kept their Grand Slam 6 Nations dream alive by beating the current champions France yesterday. The final score was 17-9 and it was a fair reflection of the game. England played a sloppy penalty ridden first half but whatever Martin Johnson said at half time worked a treat. Almost from the restart we scored a try and held a solid defence for the rest of the game. Both teams could have had 2 tries in the second half but some extremely good officiating meant they were ruled out.
Secondly, it has always been a dream of mine to visit the home of English rugby, Twickenham stadium.
                         
This dream will become a reality on St Georges day this year when myself and Mikey T will go and watch London Wasps take on Bath in the Aviva Premiership. And if this wasn't enough, with tickets costing £20. I will be returning to Twickenham for my second visit just over a month later to watch the Aviva Premiership Final!! I was expecting this to cost a lot more however there were tickets available for £40 and this allows me to sit in the lower tier! I'm so happy that this chance has arisen and will be incredibly excited when the day rolls round.

That's all I wanted to say today. Many thanks for reading and I shall be back soon with more thoughts for your reading pleasure.

5 comments:

  1. Ok the rugby and football stuff flew over my head (sorry just not interested in either lol)

    But I agree about the Taxi's. They do deserve a bit more respect for driving when others dont want to. And the operators never know how long the taxi will be. Very annoying

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Football and Rugby stuff is all good points. I can't wait to go back to Twickenham and to do it twice in two months will be awesome. I am tempted by England/Wales but theres a cost factor and the ability to get tickets! We'll see

    Taxis though, I've got no gripe with actual drivers unless they purposely take the longer route to get more money from you. That irritates me. Taxi operators wind me up like you said with the "5-10 minutes" rubbish. I'd much rather them say "we don't know".

    However the tracking system is simple. They manage it for planes somewhat successfully. You'd just need a GPS system with trackers in each of the cars. It might be a bit expensive to set up but surely thats better than nothing and just guessing. Most cabs have GPS in these days anyway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, I did mean to mention the longer route system. Ended up just calling them cunts.
    But your idea of a tracking system would be simple, I noticed your taxi driver last night had a satnav system. Not sure if thats the reason he took so long to arrive though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. only disagreement i have personally is the playoff thing. basically get to playoffs, we get more appearance money. now as for going up if we did, its not a bad thing. we still have a wage structure in place under the new business, something that wont change and if it does, only marginally. getting in good frees would be easier there than it is now too. id rather play with 15 squad players in the prem and lose the majority knowing we get more parachute payments to pretty much secure the future and look slightly better proposition for a new owner

    this is something that a lot of people disagree on so cant blame you for wanting to stick it out in the championship tho!

    ReplyDelete